The Enchanted Forest officially opened on August 15, 1955, one month after Disneyland Park's opening. Appealing mostly to families with small children, the park had a nursery rhyme theme. The park featured fairy tale buildings and characters, but no mechanical rides originally. Track rides were added later, including Cinderella's castle ride with mice for the cars. At the height of its popularity, the Enchanted Forest welcomed 300,000 children per summer season. After its original owners, the Harrison family, sold the park to a developer it closed for the first time in 1989, turning more than half the land into the Safeway-anchored Enchanted Forest Shopping Center in 1992. The park was permanently shuttered in 1995 after which much of the theme park sat undisturbed yet neglected behind a chain-link fence. In 2005 active preservation began.